The name "Fliegauf" first appeared in Washington on July 31, 1926, when Oscar Fliegauf, father of Arthur E. Fliegauf, opened a jewelry store at 18 West Washington Avenue. Oscar, born in Baden, Germany in 1879, operated a jewelry store in Flemington before coming to Washington. He learned the watch making trade in Germany as a boy, and after working aboard a transatlantic ship for several years, immigrated to the United States in 1899. Following a number of years of working for other people, including Wiss' in Newark, he opened his first jewelry store in 1914 in Irvington. From Irvington, he moved to Flemington in 1919, and from there to Washington.
Dr. Fliegauf operated the present jewelry store until 1944, when his son Arthur purchased the business. Dr. Fliegauf then entered the optometry profession exclusively in Washington, until 1959, when he retired
Arthur E. Fliegauf operated the store from 1944, before which he worked for his father since the store's inception. Arthur resided in Brass Castle with his wife Evelyn. His son, Roy Fliegauf, joined the staff in 1965, shortly after his graduation from Rutgers University, Roy officially retired from the jewelry business in 2013 and sold the store to his nephew Greg Fliegauf, who joined the staff in 1997 after graduating from Fairleigh Dickinson University.
Fliegauf Jewelers has been operated continuously since 1926 in Washington by four generations of the same family, and in some cases, has been dealing with the same supplying and wholesaling firms for eighty years.